Tuesday 13 October 2015

Long-term Arsenal target William Carvalho admits 'love' for the Gunners

Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho has revealed his 'affection' for Arsenal while suggesting he would be open to a move to the Premier League one day. The Portugal international had been linked with the Gunners, as well as Chelsea and Manchester United, before Arsene Wenger decided to place his faith in Francis Coquelin without pursuing another holding midfielder.


The 23-year-old's £33million buy out clause in his contract appears to have put off clubs, although his current deal expires in 2018. Before then Carvalho, who was named the best player at the UEFA Under 21 Championship, is hoping to win the Portuguese league title with his club.

Arsenal target William Carvalho has admitted his love for the Gunners is why he finds the Premier League so appealing.

The Sporting Lisbon midfielder has been tipped to move to the Emirates in the past, while Manchester United have also been linked with the Portuguese.



However, speaking to A Bola, Carvalho insists a move to the Premier League is not on his agenda at the moment.

"I am where I want to be right now, which is Sporting," he said. I prefer not to say too much, but there is a club I have always loved: Arsenal. It's because they had Thierry Henry, a player I always enjoyed watching.Perhaps this is also why I've found the Premier League so appealing." 
Many Arsenal supporters still believe the club need to sign another outfield player, having also decided against a move for Morgan Schneiderlin before he joined Manchester United, after only bringing in former Chelsea keeper Petr Cech in the summer.

Meanwhile, Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has admitted he needs to toughen up after being displaced by Theo Walcott in the starting line-up.
Walcott was named man-of-the-match in arguably Arsenal's best performance of the season in defeating Manchester United - and also scored for England against Estonia during the international break.

However, Giroud is remaining calm and insists he believes in his ability to force his way back into contention.
'At Arsenal, I am in competition with Theo for the striker position. But he is doing well at the moment, so there is no reason to change,' he said. 'I need to take positives and to harden myself mentally. I was in [Walcott's] place in previous seasons at Arsenal. I imagine what he must have been thinking. But I feel that the coach believes in me,' he added. It has been for several matches now that I have played less, that is for sure, but I do not need to be worried. I need a bit more game time but also to believe more in my abilities.'






No comments:

Post a Comment